Friday, December 2, 2011

December 2: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos

Today is my birthday and I need to post a recipe that I adore, so here it is. About 10 years ago I was in Moab, one of my favorite vacation spots, and was at a festival where these burritos were being sold. Sweet potatoes and black beans are two of my favorite foods and they are very nutritious. They may sound strange to serve together, but they are delicious. I wanted this recipe so I watched how they where being made and came home and did it myself. I have been making them ever since. I have a second recipe that I have since found online. I love them both..


Image result for sweet potato and black bean burritos


Recipe 1:
1 yam or sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
2 TB taco seasoning, about 1/2 commercial pkg
Olive oil
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 TB chopped cilantro
10" tortillas (I like whole wheat)
Favorite toppings: salsa, sour cream, tomato, lettuce, lime, cheese
In a medium bowl combine sweet potato, onion, taco seasoning and about 2 TB olive oil. Toss to coat. Spread on a large cookie sheet. Roast for 30 minutes at 375 stirring half way through the cooking time. Toss the black beans and cilantro with the sweet potato mixture. Scoop mixture onto tortilla. Add toppings. Roll up. Serve.

Recipe 2:
Cooked black beans
Cooked sweet potatoes or yams
Salsa
Spanish rice
Grated Cheddar cheese
Whole wheat tortillas
Smear some sweet potato on warmed tortilla shell. Add beans, rice, cheese, and salsa. Roll up. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment